Sunday 6 March 2011

Hiker Corn Salve


There is no doubt about it, old medicinal preparations make me shudder. I can't open this tin incase I find the imprint of some ancient finger embedded in the cream, but the graphics on the lid make it worthy of keeping. I can't imagine that my grandparents were hikers, but it has a distinct pre war feel. The instructions are very specific, not only does it take 4 days to improve your corns, but you also have to bathe in hot water and soda after. No good if you are out in a tent on the Pennine Way. I wonder if I may have bought this myself in a second hand shop. It's non the less a lovely item, 1" across. Apparently Carter Bros. of Shipley disappeared in the early 1970s. It shall remain unopened for the foreseeable future.

No comments:

Post a Comment